Connected Learning for Teacher Capacity Building in STEM (CL4STEM) A Project of TISS
As part of the Connected Learning For Teacher Capacity Building in STEM (CL4STEM) Project, STEM faculty members from Samtse College of Education attended a virtual workshop on Universal Design Learning (UDL) from July 5 to 8, 2021, offered by the School of Education at Tata Institute of Education (TISS) and Department of Special Education, SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai, India. It was resourced by Prof.Sujata Bhan and Dr.Apoorva Panshikar, Department of Special Education, SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai. Dr. Sujata Bhan is a trained psycho-educationist, clinical psychologist, and teacher educator. SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai established the Department of Special Education in 1977, the first of its kind in India to offer Special Education Training at degree level to women graduates to teach and manage children with various exceptionalities.
The workshop consisted of three major events:
- Three days of presentations by experts;
- A critical evaluation of TISS Mumbai’s Open Educational Resources (OERs) in math and science;
- Presentations of OERs evaluation reports by Bhutanese, Tanzanian, and Nigerian teacher educators participants.
The following topics on UDL were covered during the workshop:
- Principles of Universal Design
- Universal Access to Education (EFA).
- Inclusive Education Frameworks
- Universal Design for Learning
- Principles of UDL: engagement, representation, action, and expressions
- UDL Lesson planning
- Accessible OER for Learners with Disabilities
- Checklist for UDL based Accessible OER
Report compiled by Dr.Reeta Rai
STEM ERC Coordinator